There are different reasons why you might choose to give a gift to someone: you know they will appreciate it, doing it out of obligation, or even just because they dropped a hint or two. Slippers are one of the many viable gift choices that you can give to someone, no matter if it is an adult, an elderly person, or a child. However, whether they are a good gift is up for debate because on one hand, they don’t require ingenuity, while on the other hand, not too many people gift them to loved ones. Read on to find out if your next gift should be a pair of slippers.
Are slippers a good gift? Slippers can make a great gift choice since they can be given to virtually anyone, no matter the age or gender. Additionally, slippers are practical, especially during the colder seasons.
However, some people associate being gifted slippers with bad luck, so you may have to ask them to give you a few coins in return for them to accept it. You may also want to avoid presenting slippers as a gift to a work colleague or a business partner and instead stick to giving them to friends and relatives. If you opt to give slippers as a gift, ensure that they are comfortable and well-fitting. This means you may have to find out the size of the person without ruining the surprise. You will also want to be mindful of the packaging of the gift since it helps to build up the anticipation of unwrapping the gift. Of course, the quality of the slippers is also a big deal especially if you want the receiver to get the most out of the gift.
The process of giving a gift to someone involves reviewing all the viable options with the hopes that you will ultimately find something for the receiver. Slippers are a viable gift choice, but before you go for a pair, here are a few considerations to keep in mind.
Considerations to keep in mind
1. Superstitions of the receiver
If you plan to give a pair of slippers as a gift to a superstitious person, you will want to take their reservations into consideration especially if you want them to accept it. One of the most common superstitions is that when you give footwear as a gift, the receiver will walk away from you. Therefore, to make the receiver at ease with accepting your gift of slippers, ask them to give you a few coins in return to symbolize that they have acquired instead of being presented the gift.
2. The receiver you plan to present the gift to
Slippers are generally categorized as gifts that you would give to your relatives and close friends. As a result, you may want to avoid giving slippers as a gift to a colleague, a business partner, or any other person that you strictly associate with professionally. This is because slippers are generally viewed as an intimate gift choice, and presenting them to someone you don’t know personally may give the wrong message.
3. Features to consider before making a purchase
Before you buy a pair of slippers for someone, there are a number of factors that you need to keep in mind:
- Material – Slippers come in a variety of materials. A suede upper is simple but still stylish. Furthermore, allows for long-term use due to its sturdiness, and it is often found in slippers that are heavier. Knit slippers are more lightweight and great for breathability. Slippers that feature a woolen knitted upper are soft and comfortable, and although they might feel a little tight in the beginning, they are easy to break in. A leather upper has a natural sheen that can be maintained by polishing it on a regular basis.
- Size – The size of the slippers is an important consideration especially if you want the intended receiver of your gift to be comfortable when wearing them. Sometimes, a pair of slippers will be the same size as your usual shoe size, so you already have the information you need. However, in many cases, the sizing between slippers and everyday shoes tends to vary. As a result, if you are doing your shopping online, read the sizing guide of the slippers you want to buy and also read the reviews posted by other customers to see if there are reports of a given pair running big or small. Alternatively, you can also ask the receiver to tag along to the shoe store so as to try on the slippers so as to help you determine their size.
- Color – Slippers come in a wide variety of colors, and whatever you choose will depend on the preferences of the receiver.
- Quality – The quality of the slippers you intend to gift is an important factor to consider since it may determine whether or not the receiver will appreciate the gesture. Therefore ensure that you carefully look at the appearance of the slippers as well as how durable the shoe is.
Aspects that determine the comfort of a slipper are:
- Warmth – How warm a slipper is will depend on the inner material used to make the shoe. Materials that are commonly featured in the interiors of slippers with the sole purpose of providing warmth to the feet of the wearer include fleece, shearling, sheepskin, and faux fur.
- Arch support – A slipper that provides arch support is great for someone that has a foot condition as well as anyone who wants to prevent a potential problem from occurring. The footbed of a support slipper is typically cushioned to provide enhanced comfort and consequently reduce pain symptoms.
- Breathability – Slippers that allow for breathability keep the wearer’s feet from overheating and sweating. Ensure that you go for a pair that has an inner lining that doesn’t retain too much heat.
- The floor of the house – The hardness of the floor will determine how thick the soles of a slipper should be. If the floor of the house of the receiver has hardwood flooring or any type of hard surface that is uncovered, then you will want to go for slippers that have thick soles.
Slippers come in different designs, so you will have a wide variety to choose from.
- Clogs – Clogs are a type of slippers that feature a closed front slip-on design and foot coverage at the front. They are among the more versatile designs since they can be used for both outdoor and indoor purposes.
- Loafers – Loafers are a type of footwear that are low in design that leaves your ankle joints exposed when you wear them. The sole of the loafer is separated from the upper part of the slipper, and they typically feature a low heel that slightly elevates the height of the wearer.
- Mules – This is another slip-on slipper design that is closed at the front and opens at the heel of your foot. They come in a variety of designs, including kitten heels and espadrilles. Mules can be used as both indoor and outdoor slippers.
- Moccasins – Moccasin slippers are similar in design to loafers, with the only differences being that they moccasins don’t have a separate sole and that they lack a heel. Moccasin slippers often have embroidery and beading, which makes them great for someone who doesn’t mind footwear that is a bit flashy.
- Boot slippers – These are slippers that completely cover the feet and ankles, which makes them especially convenient during the colder seasons. Despite providing more coverage than most slipper types, they are very lightweight and comfortable to walk in.
- Outdoor slippers – These are slippers that have tough soles and weather-treated, making them suitable for both indoor and extensive outdoor use.
- Orthopedic slippers – Orthopedic slippers are specially designed with support in their insoles to make them comfortable to wear for those who suffer from foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis, as well as back pain. Many of them feature either a padded or gel insole to provide arch support to the wearer.
4. Packaging your gift
With all the attention focused on finding the appropriate gift, the importance of gift packaging is often overlooked. If you have had the experience of giving a gift to someone, then you probably have an idea of how rewarding it is. The excitement that they have as they unwrap their gift is nothing short of magical. Consequently, wrapping the gift in a unique and bright package is a great way to build up the anticipation of gift opening.
5. Occasions when you can give slippers as a gift
Slippers make a great gift choice for almost any occasion. Gifting a family member who has a foot condition a pair of slippers that provide arch support on their birthday will likely be met with a lot of appreciation. Similarly, presenting a friend with a pair of warm, cozy slippers as a housewarming gift when they move into their new apartment in the middle of winter will show just how thoughtful and considerate you are.
Gifting a loved one is a rewarding experience, but at the same time, it can be quite stressful if you are not too sure of what to give them. Depending on the occasion, you can rarely go wrong with slippers, especially if they are warm, well-fitting, comfortable, and of high quality.