Flip flops will perhaps be forever be associated with summer. Whether you wear them daily or only to the beach, it is not hard to see why they are so popular – they are breathable, and they are easy to slip in and out of. However, not all flip flops are created equal. A pair of bad flip flops can cause a lot of foot ache and other painful conditions especially when you wear them for extended periods. As a result, it is important to select a good pair of flip flops that will not only allow your feet to breathe but also keep them healthy. Read on for a look at some of the best flip flops worth your consideration.
What is the best brand of flip flops? To determine the best brand of flip flops, there are a lot of factors to take into consideration, including comfort, support, durability, and materials.
As a result, different brands offer varying levels of quality, which makes it hard to single out a particular brand.
The top brands that make high-quality flip flops
- Birkenstock – Birkenstock is a shoe manufacturer that sells a variety of shoe designs, including flip flops. They are noted for their contoured rubber and cork footbeds which conform to the shape of the wearer’s feet.
- Reef – Reef is a brand of unisex casual sandals that primarily specializes in thong sandals. The Reef Fanning flip flops are made with the beach in mind, as they are water-resistant and have a built-in bottle opener.
- Crocs – Crocs footwear is a selection of lightweight footwear that includes sandals and flip flops. Crocs Capri V, one of their products, are known for being solid in terms of construction and having a comfortable upper.
- Clarks – Clarks is another shoe manufacturer that also manufactures flip flops. Clarks Breeze Sea flip flops, in particular, have a comfortable footbed and are water friendly.
- Olukai – Olukai is a brand of Hawaiian-inspired footwear. Olukai Ohana flip flops are one of their most comfortable and water-resistant designs.
The highest quality flip flops from the top brands
1. Birkenstock Gizeh
The Birkenstock Gizeh is a design of flip flops that features a footbed that is made from a combination of natural latex and cork. Birkenstocks, in general, take into consideration the balance of the wearer, and these flip flops are no different – the synthetic outsoles in this design are sturdy and very durable. They also provide high arch support and feature a deep heel cup.
The Birkenstock Gizeh come in a variety of colors, including both vegan-friendly and leather options. They are perfect for virtually any type of activity thanks to their special molded platform, but you will want to keep them away from water as they are not water-resistant.
2. Reef Fanning
This is a design of flip flops that is water-resistant, making ideal for use when by the pool or at the beach. They have a herringbone rubber outsole that has a strong grip on a variety of surfaces. The Reef Fanning also features a compression-molded footbed that provides support to the arch when worn, allowing for a comfortable experience even when worn for extended periods. This also makes it suitable for wear if you suffer from heel or arch pain, or if you simply want to keep your feet comfortable. This design features a concealed bottle opener which is found in the sole, making it an unusual yet multi-functional item. The main downside of this design is the durability issues – when subjected to
3. Clarks Breeze Sea
This is a more athletic design of flip flop that is made for long walks thanks to its support and comfort features. It features a thong that has a loop strap and an adjustable hook and is made from a soft fabric. This allows you to easily slip the flip flop on and off.
The midsole and footbed of the flip flop are made from EVA foam, which makes the Clarks Breeze Sea particularly comfortable. The EVA foam also has shock-absorbing properties, making it especially beneficial for those who suffer from foot problems.
The textile and synthetic strap of this design feature a hook and loop closure that allows you to make adjustments to the fit. This makes them great for those that prefer a more snug fit or for when your feet swell at the end of the day. However, the Clark Breeze Sea runs too narrow, which may be a problem if you have particularly wide feet.
4. Crocs Capri V
The Crocs Capri V has an upper portion that is made of real leather and a lower portion made of neoprene. The neoprene bottom is comfortable and features several shallow bumps that are meant to provide a soothing tactile sensation to the foot when worn. The curvy design on the lower portion of the flip flop accentuates your arches, offering a lot of support in this area. The upper part of the Crocs Capri V is surprisingly sturdy, which makes them very durable. Keep in mind that since they have a leather upper, the Crocs Capri V are not water-resistant.
5. Olukai Ohana
The Olukai Ohana is constructed with 100% vegan materials, which means it does not contain any animal products. The outsole is made from a combination of thermoset synthetic and natural rubbers and features razor-spied edges that allow for an excellent grip on surfaces. They are also water-resistant, which means you can take them out for a spin on beach or pool day.
The footbed of this flip flop design is made from compression-molded EVA foam, and it features a midsole with shock and impact absorbing properties. The supportive cushioning is great for those who need support in the arch or heel area of the foot. However, the arch placement in the Olukai Ohana is very high, which doesn’t make them suitable for those that have lower arches.
6. FitFlop Rokkit
The Rokkit by the brand FitFlop is all about foot health thanks to its orthopedic properties. The midsole of the FitFlop Rokkit is very efficient at absorbing shock as well as evenly distributing pressure to all parts of the foot. This makes it comfortable to wear all through the day.
The upper part of this design is supple and sturdy as it is constructed with quality suede material. The Rokkit also features defined treads that allow for great traction, consequently decreasing the possibilities of tripping and falling as you walk.
7. Sanuk Yoga Mat
This is a unique flip flop design from Sanuk that features a footbed that is entirely made out of actual yoga mats. This makes them very comfortable to walk on even for extended periods. Additionally, this material also allows the flip flop to conform to your foot much more easily. However, it is worth noting that the cushioning tends to flatten over time. This flip flop design is also water-resistant.
The synthetic straps of this flip flop have a soft jersey lining that keeps the straps from uncomfortably rubbing into your skin and potentially causing blisters to develop as a result. The toe post is also comfortable between the toes thanks to the soft webbing that it is made of.
The factors to determine the best bands of flip flops
- Comfort – Comfort is one of the most important aspects to consider when choosing flip flops since it will not only determine your wearing experience but also impact your overall health. The design of the footbed is one of the main determinants of comfort, so you want it to be molded or contoured.
- Fit – It is important to be able to wear your flip flops without the feeling too big or too tight on your feet. Flip flops that are too big will increase the chances of you losing your balance, whereas if they are too small you will likely end up with blisters and lacerations on your feet.
- Materials – The material used in the construction of a flip flop will determine how comfortable, durable, and flexible it will be. Some of the most common materials used in the design of flip flops from top brands include leather, rubber, cork, and EVA.
- Support – Many flip flops do not offer adequate support to the wearer, which is one of the main reasons why they are often not recommended to be worn for extended periods. It is therefore important to look for flip flops that have suitable footbed shaping as well as arch enhancements.
- Durability – Flip flops are generally less durable than standard shoes, but this does not mean that they should fall apart after a few wears. The best flip flops are those that will provide comfort and retain their shape over an extended period.
Each flip flop from the brands included on this list provides varying degrees of support, durability, and comfort. These qualities make them suitable for wear even for extended periods, which is one of the main reasons why they stand out among other flip flops. Most of them are long-lasting as well and without a doubt some of the best in the flip flop industry.